Featured Post

What we learned and what others may want to know about taking an Around the World extended trip

What inquiring minds want to know- about going on a World Cruise adventure ·          Deciding to travel for 6 months with a price ta...

Monday, August 1, 2011

My Garden of Weedin’

I loved this editorial which I am quoting from Karen Anderson, editor of “At Home in West Hawaii” Published in West Hawaii Today newspaper, August, 2011

My Garden of Weedin’

This year, I’m trying a new strategy for my lawn.  I’m planting the weeds first, in hopes that the grass will take over.

Not to brag, but my yard looks like a picture postcard – from the Sahara Desert, that is.  Truth be told, the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but so is the water bill.  Seems like the only way to ensure rain is to give the yard a good soaking.

Actually, I’ve never had what you’d call a green thumb.  For instance, I have a rock garden, and last week four of them died.  My luck with flowering plants isn’t much better.  For me, “annual” means disappointment once a year.  The good news is, at least my dried floral arrangements are still flourishing.

If only I could grow green stuff in my garden like I can in my refrigerator.  I even worked over-thyme in my herb garden, but nothing’s cumin up.  I am happy to report, however, that my Elvis Chia Pet produced a thick head of clover this season.

You’d think that living in Hawaii; I’d have a better chance of becoming a successful gardener, but no.  One thing I can say, my crab spider nursery is absolutely thriving.

Sadly, my vegetables seem a little lazy these days – they’re all lying around in their beds.  Plus, they’re not nearly as nice as the pictures on the seed packets.  Turns out, the pictures were shot with professional vegetables.

On a brighter note, I’m now researching the possibility of growing citrus.  I think I’ll do well because I have experience picking lemons.  Just look at my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment