Featured Post

What we learned and what others may want to know about taking an Around the World extended trip

What inquiring minds want to know- about going on a World Cruise adventure ·          Deciding to travel for 6 months with a price ta...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pioneer application

I was born in Akron, Ohio where I lived until I went to college at Allegheny College, Meadville, PA. After college, I became a Medical Technologist and lived in Cleveland, OH for two years before moving to Bern, Switzerland for two years, 1968 to 1970 where I worked as a Medical Technologist. Then I moved back to Akron for a couple years and then drove to Seattle, WA where I worked at Harborview Hospital and met my husband who was in Law School there. We married his last year of school, and came to Alaska in a large group of VISTA volunteers. He was assigned to Legal Services and I worked at the State Human Rights Commission. I later became the Assistant Director for the Southcentral Region until I had my first child. I was on the Girl Scout Board of Directors, the Women’s Credit Union Board, and President of both the Aquanaut Swim Club, and the NOW in the 1970’s and attended the National Women’s Conference in 1977. After giving birth, I worked part-time as a Paralegal for the State and then after giving birth to our second son, we moved to Fairbanks where my husband taught Native Law and wrote the book “Alaska Natives and American Laws”. Then our family moved back to Anchorage where my husband started his law practice. In 1988 we moved to our present home and he joined the Law Firm of Landye, Bennett and Blumstein. Our children attended Inlet View School, Romig, Central and West High. While raising our two sons, I worked part-time in various jobs, including Law Office Manager for my husband, photographer, inventor of the Babycase cover for the Gerry backpack for babies, Carr’s bagger and deli worker, Medical Technologist for Alaska Hospital and Medical Park Family Care, Special Ed Teacher Assistant at West High, and finally Secretary for the Slingerland Program with the School District. I retired from the School District in 2004. I have entered handmade items such as quilts, jams and jellies, knitted items, homemade wines and liqueurs, cross stitch, embroidery, and such at the Alaska State Fair every year I have lived here. I have made over 100 batches of homemade wine, mostly from berries I pick locally or grow in my garden. My handpicked cranberry sourdough sauce won best of class one year. I also was once Second in both the Softasilk Cake flour contest and the Land O’ Lakes sour cream contest and participated in the chili making contest. My garden was on the Garden Club garden tour 15 years ago. One summer I was a tour guide for the Historical Society. My friends and I have had a booth selling knitted goods at the Girdwood Forest Fair for the last four years. For many years my family and I hiked throughout the area and have enjoyed cross country and downhill skiing and berry picking. My current hobbies are walking, biking, reading, knitting, quilting, and playing duplicate bridge. I was the Club Manager of the Bridge club all last year and am a Life Master and Director. I also attend classes at the University through OLE. My oldest son is in Medical School after a five year career in a touring rock band, and my youngest son is in Nursing School in Chicago after working as a Marine Biologist observer on fishing boats in Alaska.
Dorothy Case

No comments:

Post a Comment