Featured Post

What we learned and what others may want to know about taking an Around the World extended trip

What inquiring minds want to know- about going on a World Cruise adventure ·          Deciding to travel for 6 months with a price ta...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

John Denver memories

July, 2006
I am home alone and got out the old John Denver records. I have ten 33 rpm record albums of John Denver, more than any other artist in my record collection. Looking at the photos of John on his album covers, I am struck by the resemblance of him and Ben Karis of Jupiter Sunrise. I think the band should work on that likeness. Ben’s songs should be more of his voice and less background. More of a John Denver or that guy who is the son of one of my brother David’s patients who is popular right now. Rob Thomas. I remembered! Anyway, I don’t know what Rob Thomas looks like, but John Denver’s image was so prominent and so beloved and yet he was so nerdy looking with his straight hair and round glasses. I used to have my hair cut almost the exact length and the same bangs and the same nerdy glasses. I may even still have the glasses. John Denver came to Alaska twice and I was able to see him both times and shake his hand, once with my obvious look alike “look”. There is no John Denver now. No one fits that hometown American boy with the Aw shucks music for all ages. Jupiter Sunrise fills that void in many ways and can work into it by showcasing Ben more in this way.
Think about it.

John Denver’s music is his pure voice accompanied by a lead guitar melody line or sometimes a harmony line. In the background are harmonizing voices at times. Sometimes there will be a piano or a harp or violins.

I want them to Play “Around and Around” on the Poems, Prayers and Promises Album at my funeral.and then Fire and Rain, the song right after.

John Denver’s music is like hymns for the common man. He has recorded a song for every one of life’s events including birth, death, morning, evening, marriage, childhood, Native, birth of a child, Grandparents, can I think of more?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment