Featured Post

What we learned and what others may want to know about taking an Around the World extended trip

What inquiring minds want to know- about going on a World Cruise adventure ·          Deciding to travel for 6 months with a price ta...

Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3, 2015, Sunday, Bali (Benoa), Indonesia

Sunday.  The dining room served a lavish Sunday brunch.  Our ship arrived early to Bali.  We thought we would go to a beach before our 3:15 excursion, but it was cloudy with a very big chance of rain, so we just went shopping at the docking area. 
Arriving in Bali.  I have never seen so much tourist activity on a shoreline.  Parasailing, waterskiing, skidoos, sightseeing boats, waterskiing rafts and banana rafts and scuba divers.  but on this beach I saw no actual swimmers. 

Our Balinese greeters

At the dock,  The taxi drivers and merchants were very aggressive.  But we managed to buy a shirt for David and a matching patterned skirt for me, a unique top, and a long dress.  The styles will look nice in Hawaii.  We soon saw other passengers wearing similar purchases.  At the prices we paid, none of it was authentic Bailnese batik.

On our afternoon excursion to the Bird park and dinner dance, First we stopped at a filigree silver jewelry store and watched the ladies with very good eyesight put tiny curls of silver wire on jewelry earrings or necklaces or rings.  There was a horse displayed made in this manner.
pure silver horse. Heigh ho!

Traditional Balinese homes surrounded the store.
Entrance to a room in a home by the silver store
They dress up their gods with yin and yang cloth
We drove to the bird park and wandered around this beautiful jungle setting where we saw many different colorful birds.  We recognized the ones from Africa.  
I had my photo taken with parrots.  They were heavy and scratched a little but I couldn't resist a colorful photo opportunity
A casawary.
His friend
This one loved to pose
I never saw a pink bird like this before
These Crested birds were everywhere.  We also saw them in Africa.
Pretty as a peacock

The dinner was very good Indonesian style food.  I wasn't feeling good so I ate the chicken soup and rice.  The Captain announced at noon that 2% of the ship was sick.  We heard about some people who had been quarantined for two days when they were ill.  At night we were given individual bottles of hand sanitizer.  I had some lima beans for lunch and I guess they were the reason for my gas because I survived the evening after all.

After dinner in the torchlight, the men began to chant in a circle on the lawn.  Their chests were bare and they had the typical Balinese headwear.  Beautifully dressed women wove in and out of the men and then two men dressed in colorful costumes came following them.  There was a story to all this but I didn't follow it.  
The Kecak dance is a ritual dance that recounts a tale from Ramayana originally from India.  The men chant in a circle while colorful dancers weave their way amongst them.
Afterwards we had the opportunity to take pictures.  Our drive back to the ship was long and among the motorcycle traffic.  It also rained.  Most everyone owns a motorcycle in Bali.  Other than taking a spill and scraping my knees on my way to buy a Tshirt, it was a splendid evening.

At one point I got up to use the restroom and tripped on some angled stairs.  A couple days later my knee started bothering me.  On later thought, I think this was what did it.  Phooey.

No comments:

Post a Comment